Which homepage layout do you prefer and why?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #1

Discourse offers several ways to display the categories page (which will be the homepage of the site). I’ve listed them all here - which one do you prefer, and why?

Categories only

Only the categories and some stats. Very static, and not very indicative of the activity on the site.

Categories and latest topics

The right side of the screen will show the ‘stream’ of all the most recently updated posts. While this may be a high-speed list, it can also help discover interesting conversations

Categories and featured topics

The right side of the screen shows the 3 most recent conversations for each top-level category.

Categories and top topics

The right side of the screen will show the ‘top topics’ - those are the ones with the most activity during a year (which makes it not so useful + rather static in my opinion).

(Rombout Versluijs) #2

The first one, Category Only, the other with the posts i find very messy. If a users is looking for something, i think the users needs a clean screen as much as possible.

The onces with latest and hot posts is to much. Fills the screen with to much info, clutters it. The other are much easier to scan and read.

Thats my 2 cents

(Millani) #3

I prefer categories and featured topics. This way low-traffic categories do not get overshadowed by popular ones, and I can discover interesting topics from time to time without having to scan through the entire forum.

Categories only is also good, as it is clean and easy to understand.

(Caetano Veyssières) #4

I woud just eliminate Categories+latest topics and Categories+top topics for the reasons stated above.
As for the remaining 2 options, either one is fine for me.

(Cal McGaugh) #5

I like #4…Categories & Top Topics…it exposes interesting topics I would not usually look for.

Are you going to create a poll that will ask our preferences for layout, color scheme, Patreon, etc?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #6

I explored settings a bit and discovered that I can set the ‘Categories and Top Topics’ view to show the ‘weekly’ popular topics instead of yearly. This seems to make much more sense. What do you think?

(Please note that on this testsite the list will look rather empty, but once we’re in production it will quickly show the most popular/active conversations)

(Cal McGaugh) #7

I like it. :grinning::+1:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #8

Tip: put a YouTube link on an empty line and it will turn into an embed :slight_smile:

(Cal McGaugh) #9

I tried putting the link on an empty line, but didn’t embed(?)
Also tried using the link feature, but same thing.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #10

You had a space at the start

(Cal McGaugh) #11

Cool! :grinning: