Tooltip for flagging is a bit misleading

wont-fix

(Millani) #1

When I hover the mouse over the flag icon, I get the following tooltip:

privately flag this post for attention or send a private notification about it

At first, I thought flagging was a form of bookmarking, marking the post for attention, but only for me (privately). I think rephrasing it to something like

Report/Flag post as inappropriate.

would be much clearer.

(Jason van Gumster (Fweeb)) #2

The term “flag” as a verb for notifying moderators is a pretty well-understood use. Most people don’t see “flag post” and think it means bookmarking.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #3

Agreed, this is not an issue.

(Millani) #4

Yeah, my biggest issue was with “privately” and “for attention”. Were it only “flag post” I would understand, but interesting posts also need “attention”. Also, who gets the private notification? The poster or a moderator?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #5

I think the dialog is pretty clear about who gets notified?

(Millani) #6

True, but only after I click the flag button. I’m just afraid that somebody who is not familiar with forums might not understand what “flag” means, and the tooltip doesn’t really make them any wiser. What you said actually supports my point: You need to click the button in order to understand the tooltip.

But ok, it is not a big deal, and people probably won’t wrongly flag posts because of this.

By the way, is it possible to make the first round button square instead? In almost every interface round buttons mean “choose one and only one of the list”, while square ones are “on/off” like checkboxes. Since there are two lists here, I get the impression I don’t really have a choice regarding the first one, which has only one item.

(Andy) #7

Ya, I was thinking the same thing about the flag thing

(Kane York) #8

Well, isn’t it just one big list? You can only choose one of the 5, after all… there’s just a separation to make it clear that the top one doesn’t go to the site staff.

(Millani) #9

Ah, I did not notice it was only one list ^^ But the separation is confusing for me.