Should we make a new blenderartists logo?

wont-fix

(Caetano Veyssières) #1

The current one isn’t any bad :

Blender%20Artists

but just to bring some freshness to the new website would be nice, I think.
Maybe it’s too early to think about that though.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #2

I do still like how it looks. Let’s keep it out of scope for now, and focus on getting the site moved over first :slight_smile:

(Jason van Gumster (Fweeb)) #3

Agreed. I’m personally partial to the existing logo, but I’d be game for discussing changes after the hard work or migrating is complete.

I’d be willing to modernize the current logo - without straying too far from the design. Only if Bart likes it though. :slight_smile:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #5

As mentioned before, I’d like to keep this out of scope for the time being. Enough things to focus on first :slight_smile:

(Caetano Veyssières) #6

Is now a good moment to start thinking about it ?

Here are a few ideas anyway :

1. just changing the outline to a Suzann-ish silhouette :

Suzanne%204

1. A twist between the 2 letters (it’s like “blending” the 2 letters together). I guess this one would have to be vectorized with a few curved gradients to look cleaner :

Twist%20post-processed

1. This one (no particular meaning) :
    BA%20alt%202-persp

blend file of design n°2 here if you want to apply modifications (needs Blender 2.8) :
Twist 2.8.blend (1.2 MB)

(Bart Veldhuizen) #7

Looking cool, but I’m not quite there yet :slight_smile: Still very busy with the migration and after that, probably a few weeks/months of getting used to the new situation.

(Caetano Veyssières) #8

no problem.
Just one more idea for the moment :
4. No text, just a logo :

Suzanne%208

(Caetano Veyssières) #10

to my knowledge, using the actual blender logo (even its silhouette) is out of question. This logo is a trademark and blenderartists is not affiliated with the Blender Foundation.
Even resembling logos that may be legally acceptable would be confusing, leading some people to think that it is affiliated.

(Hullal Miah) #11

ok thanks for letting me know.

(Caetano Veyssières) #12
  1. Those form bubbles (similarly to blender stack exchange) but they also form the letters “ba” :
    Bubbles

2. This result looks too complex but the idea behind it may hopefully lead somewhere :
    Poly-brush%20blend%202
    The idea is that in some way, CG art is kind of like painting, but by working with polygons.
    So we could try to encompass this concept in a single logo.
    Of course this image is overly complex but maybe we could somehow take the idea to make something more simple and elegant.

blend files of both designs here if you want to apply some modifications :
Bubbles.blend (513.5 KB)
Poly-brush fade.blend (1.8 MB)

(Caetano Veyssières) #15

@HullalMiah your second image is much bigger in the vertical dimension than the horizontal.
Seeing the design of this website, this seems incompatible with it (the logo would have to be shrunk down too much or the top panel would have to be unnecessarily expanded.
I 'd suggest editing your post to propose something more optimized for horizontal display if you have an idea,

(Caetano Veyssières) #16

@bart I’ve got a question :
so, say you create a Patreon, and say after all of our logo trials we don’t get any good enough logo. Do you think it could be a good idea to add in the Patreon goals : “hire a professional logo maker to make a new logo for the website” ?
If you don’t think it’s that important, maybe it could be added in the last goals when some high amount is reached.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #17

Is there a real need for a logo?

(Caetano Veyssières) #18

A real need, no and there are definitely more important things to do. I see it as an extra that may further express the evolution of Blender and its community, that’s all.