List of remarks

art

Hi,

I’m progressively checking out how the new forum would function. Works promising so far and this is a test-post for me at the same time. I’ll be adding to this post as I move further through the site.

• The title on mouse-hover of featured artworks is very unreadable since it’s black on black.
  • The suggested topics at the bottom feel a bit pointless and cluttering to me
  • Not a fan of the badge reward system for first emoji, first post etc… a little patronizing
  • The “latest” column on the main page taking up the same amount of space as all categories isn’t necessary. I doubt with the grand stream of new posts that happen on the BA forum, that section won’t be useful for very many people.
  • I love the light theme. It’s so much more breathable. Like the old days :smile:
  • I know the importance of whitespace. But the top bar seems a big waste of important space.
  • The reply button would benefit from a bit more prominence/distinction.
  • It wasn’t very obvious that I could pin/unpin topics by clicking on the little icon next to it. I wonder if mods can parma-pin topics? Or is it individual?
  • When sorting topics, the down arrow doesn’t fit next to the word “Activity”. It gets pushed underneath, raising the row height.
  • I can’t sort back by date after I’ve sorted by something else

Kind regards, hope we get to that 4,5k!

(Bart Veldhuizen) #2

Awesome feedback, thanks!

Let’s go:

The title on mouse-hover of featured artworks is very unreadable since it’s black on black.

Fixed

The suggested topics at the bottom feel a bit pointless and cluttering to me

Keep in mind that there’s only pointless data in the system now. In time, these get much better and relevant.

Not a fan of the badge reward system for first emoji, first post etc… a little patronizing

The first badges are a bit basic yes and meant to help people get started. They’ll stop quickly and turn into more meaningful things. On top of that, we can define our own, for example for challenges (and for supporting this campaign, of course :wink:

The “latest” column on the main page taking up the same amount of space as all categories isn’t necessary. I doubt with the grand stream of new posts that happen on the BA forum, that section won’t be useful for very many people.

We’ll see how it works out. If the stream is too big, I can turn the main page into ‘categories only’.

I love the light theme. It’s so much more breathable. Like the old days

:+1:

I know the importance of whitespace. But the top bar seems a big waste of important space.

Do you mean the bar with the logo? It fills with relevant information once you enter a topic, for example. It’s a fixed part of Discourse.

The reply button would benefit from a bit more prominence/distinction.

I think that was done on purpose - creating as little visual distraction as possible in the conversation. I think people will get used to it quickly enough, no?

It wasn’t very obvious that I could pin/unpin topics by clicking on the little icon next to it. I wonder if mods can parma-pin topics? Or is it individual?

Yes it’s individual, so you can always ‘get rid’ of a pinned topic once you’ve read it, saving space.

When sorting topics, the down arrow doesn’t fit next to the word “Activity”. It gets pushed underneath, raising the row height.

I’ll report that to Discourse, thanks!

I can’t sort back by date after I’ve sorted by something else

That’s the ‘Activity’ tab.

Yes, even with the additional, useful info of the topic title and location it still is about 85% whitespace. I don’t know why this is trendy, but it’s bad design. Most screens have very limited vertical real estate. e.g. on Medium, it’s even worse if you’re not registered. They take away (uncollapsible) space from the top, and the bottom! I feel like I’m reading texts on a Nokia 3310 again.

To be completely honest, the whole site has some really bad use of white space. It’s like they don’t understand the psychology of visual grouping. Just look at post headers. Our names feel like they’re part of the post. As if we’re starting off talking to someone else by saying our own names. Then the functional buttons on the bottom left of the post are floating in limbo. Same for top-right info.

Of course we’ll get used to it. But that doesn’t always mean we should.

I’m gonna stop here or I’ll go on forever, haha. Design rant over. There’s nothing we can do about it, anyway. :smiley:

How come I can add an #art tag to my topic here?

Ah, I see. When landing on a thread, the arrow doesn’t appear on activity. This leaves the user without feedback on what the current sorting rule is (even though it’s obvious, but that still results in an unwanted cognitive task.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #5

True, but it’s also unnecessary visual clutter. If you clicked on ‘latest’, you already know :slight_smile:

I disagree. Although these are details, they add up to the professionalism of the site. Since there’s no state in which topics are unordered, there shouldn’t be a state where there’s no feedback of order-type. I won’t fight against the mass disregarding this because it doesn’t break functionality, but if it were my site… :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jason van Gumster (Fweeb)) #7

It’s worth noting, that like most modern websites, I’m pretty sure Discourse was designed with a “mobile first” mentality. Have a look at the forum on a phone (or use your browser’s mobile view feature) and you’ll see what I mean.

True, another strange trend. There’s been research that a large majority of web use comes from mobile. So the whole industry jumped on that. Sadly people aren’t doing website-specific research about their users devices.

Either way, mobile first design doesn’t even justify a slacking desktop design.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #9

Let’s try to break up feedback points into separate points going forward so I can label them as high-priority and low-priority. That way we’ll get the important things done without loosing any of the feedback.

Do you mean to make separate topics out of them?

I’m not sure if this thread still contains any relevant info, haha.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #11

Just for future reports, going forward