Forum gallery interface

low-priority

(Dimitar) #1

Would be nice to update the interface of the forum gallery with larger images appearing by the side (or perhaps above) the thread title, when browsing. Or have an option to either see the list as a list with small thumbnails or large tiles

(Bart Veldhuizen) #2

Not 100% sure what you mean - could you provide a screenshot please?

(Jason van Gumster (Fweeb)) #3

If I’m reading this right, it’s two requests. One would be just for larger thumbs on the gallery category. The other would be a view of that category that is “thumbnails only”… kind of like ArtStation. @dimitarsp can correct me if I’ve misread.

I like that. An (optional) image gallery of all the topics in that category.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #5
  1. Larger thumbnails - can do, but they’re already larger than the current ones on BlenderArtists. Are we should we shoudl give them more space?
  2. ‘Thumbnails only’ layout - yeah I’d like that very much too and I think it’s technically feasible.

Labeling this as #low-priority for now.

(Dimitar) #6

Cheers. That’s precisely what I meant.

The cgsociety gallery is quite a good size of image-only layout:

http://www.cgsociety.org/gallery/

And their forums have significantly larger thumbnails:

Which in many cases is the reason one may click to view the thread.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121

(Bart Veldhuizen) #7

That does look very good indeed. Definitely on my wishlist :slight_smile:

Update: I couldn’t resist and put a little time in: I posted a feature request for the ‘featured images’ plugin I’m using.

Update 2: changed the size of featured images on the Art forum to see how it would work, and I think you may be right. While it does present the images much better, it also makes the rows very, very large. What do you think?

(Jason van Gumster (Fweeb)) #8

Personally, I think that if we don’t end up supporting the grid view, then the larger thumbs are a reasonable compromise. However, if we do get the grid view, then I would prefer smaller thumbs so I can see more post titles without scrolling.

(Dimitar) #9

There may also be a way to scale them up and down with a button. similar to browsing for files in windows explorer / finder

(Jason van Gumster (Fweeb)) #10

That’s pushing it, IMHO. I mean… most (all?) modern browsers have built-in zoom functionality. Is that not sufficient?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #11

Agreed, let’s first see if this actually is a problem.

On a related note, I’m quite confident we’ll get the grid gallery at some point.