Challenge #999 (01/02/18) Entries OPEN

Theme #999 for Friday 2nd of February 2018 is:

Whatever you like :slight_smile:

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT …
(your time)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
[…]The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

This is not a real challenge.
But once the forum moves, I’d like to be prepared. As (from a technical perspective) almost everything will be going to change, I’ll need to rewrite most of the tools I’m currently using for managing the Weekend Challenges. As this will take quite some time, it seems to be a good idea to get going as soon as possible.
In order to do this, it would be quite handy to have some kind of fake entry thread, here, on the Blender Artists 2.0 Test site.

So, that is what this is. :wink:

It would be great if some of you could add some posts, that look as real as possible (upload entry images, assign a fitting category (pure, open, non-competing), add some comments, questions, discussions). There is only so much I can test on my own, so a real test case (pagination, different users, different image formats, … whatever) will be very valuable.

I hope, I can prepare a few things and find issues before Blenderartists moves over to the new system. Maybe things will be less bumpy this way. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone!

(Dimitar) #2

Toy Bus

I have never done any of these challenges, but I am such a big fan of discourse with using the platform on other services, that I will gladly help test out the new platform.

:grinning:

is this how you do tags?
#pure #new

(Bart Veldhuizen) #3

How will these ‘categories’ work? If there’s a fixed list I can set up a limited list of tags that people can choose from in the “weekend challenges” forum.

Update: wait, you can only tag a topic, not a reply. So if everything needs to be posted into the same forum that’s not a good solution.

And here’s my entry! (not really mine - made by JasonC)

HI I have never entered a weekend challenge before, but I watch them and vote every week :wink: so I guess I’ll post something…

The (Very) Abominable Snowman
Pure
12-04-17-2-3

Thanks to everyone for helping me filling this thread. :slight_smile:

Thanks Bart. So far, everyone who entered the challenge just stated the type of entry in some way. I have a script which scans all posts of the active entry thread. It tries to separate the entries from ‘normal posts’ and guesses if it is pure, open or non-competing by looking for keywords. So, in the end, all I have to do is to check the results for errors and update things accordingly. Based on this, the voting/poll is generated. My current plan is to keep it this way - however, I have to make this work with discourse first.

On that matter: Do you know how to create a discourse poll which automatically closes after a certain amount of time? I haven’t checked this out in detail, but this is what I found so far: https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-to-create-polls/77548

(Millani) #6

Well, it ain’t a test if somebody doesn’t try to screw things up. So here I go.

@bart I liked your pure entry, but I think adding a moustache in Gimp would make it more photoreallistic, like this

(this is not my entry, probably breaking some copyright laws with this, but soon this post will no longer exist).

(Millani) #7

My first render
arch-linux01
Pure entry. This was one of my first renders with blender.

I wanted to put two images in a post, but new users can only post one image per post… time to get old I guess
EDIT: Unrelated image:

(Millani) #8

Nice. I think the 20 characters rule is silly.

Here is the “W.I.P”, I still have the other half of the plane to finish - as you can see :slight_smile: Will post it when ready.

(source: robbur)

"What’s this?"
80_02_compo_helge
non-competing (pure), cycles, denoising

is it possible to to make the link your time open in a new tab/window?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #12

Ok cool. To make your life easier, you can access all information in Discourse as JSON by adding .json to the url. For this topic, try the following link:

http://forum-test.blendernation.com/t/challenge-999-01-02-18-entries-open/180.json

Not that I know of, sorry. I’ve posted a question about it here:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #13

Let’s just try a poll:

1. option one
  2. option two
  3. option three

0 voters

(g60-test) #14

Hey, can’t find nothing on the radio!

I’m still stumbling with the interface but I’m sure it is because I am trying to map it to the existing one. It takes a while for the brain to adjust.

I like the preview to the side.

Titles?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #15

Use markdown for titles: # h1, ## h2 etc:

Title 1

Title 2

Title 3

Thanks. I noticed the json requests and was hoping this would make things easier. One reason for this test thread is that the json results from meta.discourse.org I looked at seemed to be limited to ~20 posts. However it seems to be possible to request a single post via:
e.g. http://forum-test.blendernation.com/t/180/posts.json?post_ids[]=620

This looks promising. However, I’ll probably run into same-origin / cross-domain policy issues once blenderartists has finally been moved / after you are done configuring the server…

For the moment, it doesn’t seem to be possible. Do you know if I can close a poll manually? Keeping it open indefinitely has caused some confusion regarding the winning entry in the past.

(Millani) #17

Hmm, the fact that you can change your vote afterwards can be either problematic or interesting. It might make the voting more flexible, because if I believe that somebody else deserves to win more than the current winner, I may change my vote. On the other hand, losing votes can be such a sad thing…

(Bart Veldhuizen) #18

Yes you should. Just try :slight_smile:

I should have thought of that :wink:

• dimitarsp
  • bart
  • davidkollmar
  • Millani
  • joshwinkler3d
  • Helge
  • g60-test

0 voters

test

(Bart Veldhuizen) #20

The Discourse team has accepted this as a feature request; I’ll keep an eye on it.